Sunday, March 06, 2005

Teacher Teacher!

Last night at McDonalds while trying to squeeze embryology into my saturated brain, I noticed the couple beside me trying to figure out their ECG tracings. They were medicine undergraduates. Ah, kids. I overheard the girl say she wished somebody would teach them. My ears perked up and I soo wanted to shout, Me!!! Me!! Lemme teach you!!!!

I started looking their way, desperate for some eye contact, so I could smile and introduce myself and volunteer to teach. But neither of them looked my way. I started to fake a cough and even purposely dropped my pen just so somebody would take notice and I could lock that gaze and smile. But they just continued to talk and ignore me. I kicked the chair in front of me and said “oops!” aloud to make it seem unintentional but I was invisible to them. All of a sudden, the guy started raising his voice and the girl looked like she was about to cry. They were having a love quarrel. My hopes went down the drain. They argued til McDonalds closed for the night.

I transferred to the next 24hour place, Jollibee, just across the street. Some of the med students were there too. I finished studying at 2am but I refused to leave yet. I desperately wanted to teach someone. So I gathered up courage to talk to a familiar face, a batchmate’s girlfriend who I used to exchange smiles with. Heck, I didn’t even know her name. So I said…”psst, huy, (sheez, I really said psst, huy!), turuan kita ecg”, and she beamed and got all excited. And so we did ecg tracings til sunrise. By 6am, I could bet she could take on any general practitioner in reading ecg strips. And I’m so happy.

I used to teach batchmates studying for the board exams (I am not a know-it-all, but I just want to share with people what I know). I would even do online consults for people with medical problems on the IRC taking hours to explain to them the normal menstrual cycle, pregnancy tests, STDs, contraception etc. (yup, a lot of irc people are promiscuous but don’t even know what ovulation is all about). One was even so paranoid as to ask me about HIV and how to be sure he hasn’t been infected yet.

I love teaching people. It’s a different kind of satisfaction when they learn to appreciate concepts they used to dread or hate. Fulfilling. Yep, that’s the word, fulfilling. If only teachers were valued more, compensated more, I would be one. But I need to feed myself first. Maybe when I am older and settled, and financially stable (meaning filthy rich), I will go back to the academe to teach. Teaching, afterall, is one of the noblest professions there is.

I wish I could teach my cat to stop drinking from the fishbowl.

Sheez, I just noticed, my socks don’t match.



Ging. Fondly called Gingivitis by me, has been a friend for over 10 years now. She is moonlighting in some hospitals in Bataan. Taken in her appartment shared with Moha at Kapiligan street some 3-4 years ago. Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger kramer said...

ser, ay doc. nagguguluhan na ako. hehe!

kakatuwa tong post mo. nakakataba ng puso.

isasakatuparan ko na ang pagiging sellout ko. napagtanto ko na kaylangan ko ng pera. akoy'y magpapaalam na sa mahal kong pisay at maghahanap ng kayamanan sa iba pang lugar.

1:33 PM  
Blogger duke said...

ser kramer,
if only we could live life as it was meant to be. But there are needs we can't do without and wants that slowly become needs.

Sad that you're leaving pisay, but you can always go back. when nothing else matters but your true love.

7:22 PM  
Blogger duke said...

mac,
i'm not a teacher, really, so there's no teaching thing to go back to. i'm just a wanna be. wanna be everything. wanna be rich, wanna be famous, wanna be rich, wanna be gwapo, and wanna be rich. hehe. but thanks for the comment. appreciate it.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!

Free Web Counter