Sunday, July 06, 2008

Goodbye.

Three.

That's how many times i've kissed my sister.

1990. It was her first time away from home for a long time. She went to the Philippine Science High School and i was so excited when she came home during her first Christmas break. She waived at us from her window seat while my dad and I waited for the bus to come to a complete stop. I rushed inside and while she was trying to get her bags, i gave her a peck. she said eeewww, then wiped her cheek with the palm of her hand. It would be 14 years until i would kiss her again.

2004. Manila Centennial Airport. She was moving to Canada with her family. It was an eventful year - me passing the medical boards, my dad getting his triple bypass, and now, my sister leaving. She would now be more than a bus ride away. The atmosphere was rather uncomfortable since we weren't really a touchy-feely family. i had this swelling in my throat that grew each minute before she was to depart. And then she needed to go and the lump in my neck was about to burst. i gave her a brief peck in the same cheek and gave her a brief hug and said 'ingat'. She smiled and said goodbye, walked forward and never looked back. I saw tears welling in her eyes before she turned away.

2008. Houston International Airport. It was time to say goodbye again. I have been living with them for two years while doing residency training in Galveston. Her husband got accepted to Stanford University for fellowship, hence the move. Her family went ahead a week earlier while she stayed with the baby to finish some last errands. She was different that week, i could tell. Usually she would be irked by me for a lot of reasons, but this time she wasn't. I guess she knew she was leaving me on my own now after taking care of me all this time. After checking in all her luggage it was time to go. i gave my sister a very tight hug albeit a brief one, then i planted her a kiss, this time on the forehead. I said thank you for everything. And as i turned to give her a last wave, she was smiling...with tears in her eyes. she turned around, walked forward and never looked back. I turned back and as i blinked, the tears started falling.

Outside, the rain started to pour.


*****
"lonely boat". Picture taken at Galveston Bay in November 2007.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

goodbye rhymes with bum.. medyo ma-drama. pwede na. -Alan T.

4:47 PM  
Blogger kero said...

most of the time we don't get to appreciate those important to us until they leave. at least you'd still get to see her pag nagbakasyon ka.

c

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you made me cry.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Brennan said...

i suddenly missed my sister. aw shucks.

6:58 AM  
Blogger PoPoY said...

sobrang salamat sa picture greeting salamt salamat. nakakatuwa hehehe :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger atticus said...

*hug*peck on cheek*

and don't you dare say ewww.

11:04 AM  
Blogger kendi said...

and isn't it so hard for us who are left behind?

thanks for visiting Dr. Duke. :)

gusto ko talaga ung gif mo na ecg tracing. hehe. :)

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd maybe think it's not too far away and yet...

Haay, minsan ang buhay talaga, parang telenovela.

3:02 PM  
Blogger jho said...

Reminds me of my sister. She left for the states (with her family) about 4 years ago.... missing her so much....

Teka doc, dapat nga matuwa ka na. Laki mo na para alagaan pa ano. hehehe. peace!

4:46 PM  
Blogger dead.fish said...

hey, nice pic!
btw, thanks for dropping by :)

8:59 PM  
Blogger panyang balani said...

i missed my grandma, my grandma, my dad, my mom and my brothers. you made me cry. :(

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwwww :(

5:42 AM  
Blogger Abou said...

hay, parang na misty eye din ako


talagang ganyan

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kalungkot eh...
i always say...people leave and then they come back and never leave again.
teka nagdala ka ba ng payong?
-friedwater

7:12 AM  
Blogger mikel said...

i cried when my older bro got married. yet he and his wife live not a block away.

buti na lang umuulan.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are very lucky that the departures that's been brushing your cheek are those that will soon be greeted by welcomes.
Good luck with independent living. I hope you know how to cook. :)

12:04 PM  
Blogger vonskiea said...

naiyak ako :(
hindi rin kasi touchy family ko. i remembered the awkward feeling we had when i have to leave for singapore :(

11:02 AM  
Blogger duke said...

Allan T. gudbay rhymes with bumbay. tae ka.

kero. tama ka dyan.

jerome. iyakero.

baktin. sendan mo ng flying kiss.

popoy. hapi bertdey ulet.

atticus. eeeek.

kendi. it is. nakakadepress music ng blog mo.

abi. haaaay. *sigh*

jho. ako yung tipong inaalagaan eh. hehehe.

dead.fish. thanks.

panyangbalani. eto tishu.

van. ewwwww.

abou. muta lang yan.

friedwater. oist! buhay ka pa pala!! nasa NZ ka na daw? kamusta ka naman dyan.

amicus. oo umulan. libreng carwash.

miwa. yea, i guess you're right. i'm trying to learn.

yvonne. umiyak ka ba?

3:22 PM  
Blogger friedwater said...

malamig. nanunuot sa buto.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god.

I swear i heard my heart break.

10:50 PM  
Blogger sam said...

waaaa ang lungkot naman nito..

ang galing mo magsulat talga no doc duke? :p

now ko lang na alala ang password at user id ko hahaha so hayun.. hi doc duke.. hope you're ok!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!

Free Web Counter