Sunday, April 08, 2007

April 07, 2007


Yesterday i got off at 7PM and was excited to have my day off. I have come to treasure my days off, making sure to do something worthwhile instead of sleeping the day away.

And today was my birthday. I wanted to go fishing.

So last night, i went straight to the sports shop to buy me my fishing rod, hook, line and sinker. I am cluless on anything about fishing but the salesperson was very helpful and picked for me the basic stuff i needed. I headed home and dwindled with the computer a bit and got ready for bed. I wanted to get as much sleep to be early for the fish today.

At twelve midnight, my pager started beeping. I was being asked to see my pregnant patient in the hospital who was in labor. Of all the available dates in the calendar, why did the fetus choose to share the same birthdate with me. I put on my scrubs and drove back to the hospital. Since she was 8cms dilated, i knew it wasn't going to be a long wait. But no, the baby came out at 4am and i got out of the hospital at 5am.

But i did not give up on my plans. I decided to soak in the hot tub. I stayed there for about an hour until my fingers and toes looked likelans. Not on my birthday. Maybe i could catch a few winks then go fishing at 11am as planned.

I woke up at 12noon. i felt cold. i looked out of my bedroom window and it was raining. I checked the temperature and it was in th prunes. When i got out of the bathroom, it was still raining.

Hungry, i went to scavenge for food. My sister, brother in law, and the baby left for Chicago at the start of the month and don't have intentions of coming back til May. So for a week now, i've been eating tv dinners and leftovers. But it's my birthday today, right? Let's see, i have bread, cereal, microwaveable pasta, microwaveable noodles, microwavable veggies, microwaveable gumbo, microwaveable chicken, oreos, milk, and coke, and ice cream. I checked the cupboard and saw something that made my mouth water......LIGO sardines!!!! Wohoooo!! sarap sarap.

i was about to call it a day when my co-intern called me. She asked me to come over her house because she cooked something for me. Yey! I drove up there with my fishing rod, still hoping that the sun will just pop out of the grey sky. But looking at the seawall, i lost all hope.

Anyway, my friend A with her husband O and brother L greeted me at the door. i like these people very much i always feel comfy when i'm with them. We had squash soup and her cheese lasagna for dinner and then she brought out the cheesecake and stuck a candle on it. And they turned on the cd player and started singing clapping Feliz cumpleaƱos (they are from Venezuela). The song was a bit too long but finally it ended and we were all laughing. I pretended to make a wish and blew the candle. Then they said i should shout before slicing the cake to make my wish come true (ok, that's a new one). We talked bout fishing and O promised to become my fishing buddy. The next time i get off from work early or on my next day off, he agreed to bring me along fishing. We capped the night with stories over wine.

In this place where everybody is in a rush and always on a schedule, where most of my dealings with people are of the professional nature, i have just realized that i have found good friends.

I hurried to a baby shower party to drop off my gifts then drove back home to write about the day i turned 29.



*******
narealize ko din na mahirap kumuha ng pichure habang nagdradrayb. ay caramba!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you just pretended to wish?!?!....aawww, i thought you were better than doing that. you missed that chance, sayang, kahit generic better health, peace of mind or sana maging okay na ang ilong mo (nabasa ko lang sa previous post mo.)

anyway, you the same birthday as my mom.

have a great 29th year ahead of you.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday uletttttt
-redel

1:12 AM  
Blogger Alan Tanga said...

malapit na mawala sa kalendaryo. hehe. hababerdi!

1:28 AM  
Blogger atticus said...

happy birthday duke. glad you have new friends who took the time out to cook for you.

ako, sasamahan kitang mag-fishing.

ako, hindi kita ipagluluto, evverrr! pramis.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday Duke! It's great that you found friends especially when you're in another land, away from friends and family, all alone, by yourself, eating TV dinners... hehehe... just messing!

Seriously, it's a great way to spend your birthday... bringing new life into this world, an impromptu party. And what a young doctor you are pala.

And Happy Easter too!

2:31 PM  
Blogger sam said...

oiissst belated na maligayang pagtanda sayo! mwah!

8:14 PM  
Blogger rheiboy17 said...

maligayang kaarawan duke.

nakita ko yung ligo sardines, ang sarap! alam mo ba na may premium quality na yan - kulay puti!

pag uwi mo sa manila, bumili ka!

happy easter and happy birthday.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it rained on your birthday but your year is heading on a sunny day :)

belated hapi birthday!

10:43 AM  
Blogger vernaloo said...

ahhh belated Happy Birthday Duke!

You're friends are sweet :)

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haberday don. as usual, wala ka na naman libre. :P yung request ko ha, don't forget.

1:30 PM  
Blogger tin-tin said...

belated happy birthday!!! :)

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated happy birthday naman this time... ;-)

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

belated HB don! kabday mo pala si lala:) God bless you! ano na email mo ngaun? Inemail kase kita sa lycos dati sana nakuha mo. may tinanong lang ako doon:)

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday, duke!!! if atticus won't cook for you, i will. i take care of my man very well. i can even fish with you. there's nothing like the sight of a man handling his rod (rolls in laughter). Seriously, doc, i am glad that you have friends there who remind you that you are still human in need of warmth. i wish you all the best. 29 is a cool age. its the puberty of adulthood...as in you get the "am i old or am i still young" feeling. write more stories, sweetie. birthday hugs to you!

hey everybody...GROUP HUG!

p.s.

when are you going to decide to share with the entire world your mugshot...

5:01 PM  
Blogger - litol figgy - said...

belated happy burpday, doc!

7:59 AM  
Blogger faye clarice said...

happy birthday duke! ::muah:: ::hugggss:: btw i survived hell week and i'm off to become a 2nd year med student.. yay! let's celebrate! hahahaha happy birthday again!

3:48 PM  
Blogger arGlene said...

it's better late than never, so here's my belated greeting with a bang--

Happy, Happy Birthday and wishing you more to come! =p

6:25 PM  
Blogger duke said...

chisquare. yup, i pretended to wish. kse walang pumasok sa isip ko nun eh. onga no, sana werld peace. hehehe. Thank you.

Redel. Salamat ulet.

Alan Tanga. oo nga. lapit na mawala sa kalendaryo. tae. heheheh. oks lang yan.

atticus. thanks. wala pa ako nahuhuling isda. tae.

toe. oo nga. masaya silang kasama kahit hirap sila mag inggles. hahahaah. pero mababaet mga yun kaya ok lang. pareho kami duduguin ang ilong. hay naku, pinili pa talaga nung baby na ipanganak ngayon e. pinuyat pa ako. Thank you for the greeting.

sam. salamat! buhay ka pa pala! hehehe. kumakanta ka pa din ba?

rheiboy17. oo nga, meron dito sa cupboard na puting ligo sardines. anong lasa nun? try ko next time. salamat sa bati!

miwa. sunny sunny sunny days ahead! thank you for the greeting.

vernaloo. all my friends are sweet. hehee. thanks for the greeting.

abi. hiyesss. nakalusot ako sa palibre. hahahahah. as usual. wohooo! tenkyu tenkyu.

tintin. salamat sa bati.

abstabs. salamat salamat. kahit late. bday mo din ah!

mm. salamat sa bati. hala, anong sinend mong email? di ko natanggap. hala, baka nailagay kita sa spam. send mo ulet.

jerome aka bridgetjones. i have a loong fishing rod. hahahaha. anyway, thank you for the greeting. 29 is the puberty of adulthood. hahahaha. natawa ako dun. my mugshot...with eveything i write here? i doubt i will want to show an clear picture of my face. e di nawalan ako ng pasyente. hahahaa.

rain. Salamat sa bati.

faye clarice. congraaats!!! celebrate celebrate!

lene. ay late nga. pero better than never nga. hehehe. salamat sa pahabol!

THANKS EVERY ALL. hehehe.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!

Free Web Counter