Sunday, July 31, 2005

Bleep

Everyone here who hates the sound of my blog say “aye!”

Sheez! Everyone??

Well the beep sound is what we live with in the ICU. Imagine about 5-6 of those machines beeping incessantly throught your 24-hour stay in that dreadful place. You get used to it, really, and sometimes it hums you to sleep. It’s a lot more soothing than the single continous “Bleeep”, which meant something was wrong.

Brings to mind a groupmate whose snores were the worst I’ve heard. The male quarters would be empty if he slept there. It’s that bad. But staying with him for 1 whole month in community medicine made us oblivious to it. One time I went to the quarters to take a nap. The beds were empty save for the snoring friend, as expected. In the middle of my deep sleep, I suddenly woke up. I knew something was wrong…he stopped snoring! I rushed to check his breathing. He didn’t seem to be moving. I waited for a few more seconds. His chest wasn’t rising! I panicked, but just as I was about to start anything stupid, “ngrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkk” came the loud snore with the smelly breath. Oh, thank God, he’s alive. I went back to sleep.

So bear with my blog’s beeping… it just means that I’m still alive. J

6 Comments:

Blogger kero said...

hmmm...sounds familiar! hehehe...i wonder if he still snores that loud since he lost weight from his near DKA experience.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obstructive Sleep Apnea in a young IDDM. Are you sure you were in the quarters and not still in the ICU?

1:33 AM  
Blogger chumsychums said...

ahmm..kwestyon ser.humihilik ba yung pusa?

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this ticking sound is actually preferrable than that baby mobile toy muzak you used to have here.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Lei_SATG said...

i love having duty in ICU. because they have aircons there. ^_^

5:45 PM  
Blogger duke said...

kero, ewan lang.

anonymous, he almost ended up in the ICU a couple of years later tho. He nearly had a DKA. he's lost a lot of weight since then. i hope it has addressed his obstructive sleep apnea.

chumsychums, yung pusa ko di humihilik eh. ewan. purrrrr lang siguro. pero katunog minsan ng hilik no?

van, ya, i'll keep it.

mac, hello. praning ka na ba? hehe.

sunset_eyes, the airconditioning really makes your stay more comfortable. :))

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!

Free Web Counter