Sunday, July 02, 2006

Start of Residency

I finished everything in a rush last Saturday, bought my plane ticket at 10pm, finished packing, and then flew out of the Philippines at 5:50am. Photofinish? I’m good at that. I hadn’t slept all night though. Had there been a little david pestering me on the plane, he would have ended somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

I spent 23 hours traveling and trying to catch some winks in between flights that I almost missed boarding my Hong Kong to Sanfo. Good thing this Filipino seaman woke me up. He’s been avoiding my efforts for a little chit chat so I decided to sleep instead.

Anyway, I arrived in Houston exhausted but happy that I was almost home. During the drive to Galveston, I felt like it was just yesterday that I was here. Nothing has changed.

I started unpacking that same night and went to bed late. On Monday morning struggled with my tie (shucks, I’m going to wear a tie often now. I’ll miss my tshirts), I showed up for orientation at my building and everybody was happy that I made it, though three days late. Everybody is wonderful. My co-residents are nice and the staff is just perfect.

I got my badges and beeper later this week. I guess they own me now. They can page me anytime they want. My badge opens doors (kewl!) and I have a scrubs card too. I can get my scrubs from a vending machine and when I’m done using them I just return them to the same machine for washing. My PDA will be issued maybe next week, loaded up. The hospital and clinic computer system is something I’ll have to learn. It’s so much different here from the Philippines that I can’t help but feel sorry for patients back home. But then again, there’s nothing much I can do about it.

And so it goes that after 1.5 years of bumming around, I find myself tied to a training program. No more waking up to whatever time I want to, no more staying up late whenever I want to, no more watching tv the whole day, no more staying online the whole day, no more pestering people to talk to me when I’m bored, no more wondering what to do when I’m bored. Oh what the heck. Now I’m going to earn my own keep, and buy whatever I want as long as I can afford it. I can live with that.

So here’s to a new life.

******
atticus, thank you for the shirt and the book. appreciate it. :)

16 Comments:

Blogger kero said...

you're so right! no more waking up late and everything. how i miss those days...the only difference between us is, you're efforts are better compensated while i am still going to be dependent on my mom for the next 4 years. haay buhay...

enjoy your residency! akin na lang PDA mo pag sawa ka na!

11:29 AM  
Blogger atticus said...

have fun there, doc. and try to be back here as soon as you can, though i know that will be in decades. do keep an eye on good books, and send them to me. hehe! update ka lagi ng blog, ha? kahit busy ka na.

glad you like the shirt and the book.

2:09 PM  
Blogger tin-tin said...

God bless on your new life. enjoy! :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Being Jerome Daclison said...

a new life ka jan, tae ka din! hahahahaha! hay, naku. you just do good, perform well (parang teatro), and make us proud. so, you're in texas huh? don't you dare go "brokeback mountain" on us, boy. (rolls in laughter) although...if you do...(again rolls in laughter)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Tani said...

hi don. wow.. mukang so far so good ka dyan. pag natoxic ka, isipin mo na lang, ako gusto ko yan katoxican na yan... i can only dream about that kind of life... galingan mo dyan ha.. isip ko lang... how will you answer pag page ka sa paging system? "paging dr. du-Q" "paging dr. du-Q"... hehehe...

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Duke, glad to know that you've made it to Texas in one piece.

Wow, you'll be issued your own PDA? Cool, I hope it's not "Public Display of Affection" though. Hahahah :-D

I know you'll be busy and all, but I do hope you'll find time to update your blog, man.

And lastly, bisita ka naman sa blog ko!!! Haha, just kidding.

Lot's of luck duke. :-)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Tani said...

ngek! late ka pala ng 3 days! di ba nun 1st week of classes sa ue wala ka din?! parang di lang 1 week yun eh... 1 week late on his 1st day of med school! tapos late din sa residency... nothing's changed... hehehe! :D

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aba, pwede na gawing sitcom o drama buhay mo... ala "Scrubs" o kaya "Gray's Anatomy." :) Siempre, the show will be based on your blog. Good luck Doctor QRS!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

na miss ko tuloy yung beeper 150, namatay na yan paging sa pinas dahil sa texting.

anyways, godluck sa bagong buhay mo dyan sa tate, sana kapag napadpad ako dyan, libre mo ako sa check-up fee, hehe

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you already --- Take care Duke...sana next time, ikaw na din mag treat sa akin.... ;-)enjjoooyyy...

8:18 PM  
Blogger yuri said...

hmmmm.. kalungkot namn. well good luck! all th best to you!

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey this is really random. i found a link thru an old classmate from PI. anyway, congratulations about your residency.

i think you write very well, even though it`s just an online journal. take care.

my name`s hazel. i dont have a blogspot bc i have a xanga, but all the same, you can email me at h.encarnacion@gmail.com.

10:50 PM  
Blogger chi-square said...

congrats & good luck!

i like grey's anatomy ( connect! ;-) ), it's just story for a TV series but I believe it could be worse in real-life.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Welcome to Global Philippines.

Let me add something, no more Pinoy time. Your blog is very interesting.

I found you link from Major Tom.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...looks like someone's VERY busy.

Yo, busy as you are, you still need to take a load off and go get some "break".

"excuse me?" <-- you dont understand what they're saying, use that! else, tell em, talk "english, foo"

9:51 PM  
Blogger duke said...

kero. hay naku, matatapos din tong kalbaryo naten. yung lumang pda ko binigay ko na sa kapatid ko dyan sa pinas. hehehehe.

atticus. try to be back there as soon as i can? hmmm. ill think about that. right now i have like two books to read. kaso medical. waaaaa!!!

tintin. thank you.

jeromecalison. hahahaha. i'd go brokebak on cows. ay wala pa ako nakikitang cows dito. parang nasa cali lahat ng baka.

tani. thanks. so far, so good pa naman. sunod ka na bilis.

singlguy. HOY bumibisita ako sa blag mo! hehehehe. libre yung PDA, and i'd welcome any public display of affection din. basta libre. hehehe.

tani again. uu, late na naman aku. walang bagu. hehehhe. peru naman ksi de ku kasalanan na late dumateng papeles ko sa mail.

toe. OA mga buhay sa mga pinapanood mo. hahahaha. salamat salamat.

cruise.onga eh dito kelangan ang pager sa ospital para walang lusot. nakatali ka na at di ka na makakawala pa. pag naging pasyente kita sisingilin kita ng dalars. o kamera pede na yun. hehehe. salamat.

abstabs. miss u too. oo, ako na manlilibre pag nagkita tayo. hehehe. ako na ako na.

yuri. aba! ikaw lang ata nalungkot! di naman ako namatay! hahahaha. thank you.

hazel encarnacion. hello! glad you like my blog. do drop by often and leave comments. :) and who could this friend of yours be?

chi-square. thank you. yea, it could be worse in real life. well, depends on how you look at it. gray's anatomy has got a lot of sex in it. and i'm gonna find out if it's true. hahahahah! kidding.

myepinoy. welcome to my blog! hope you drop by often. :) and i haven't been late for anything yet, but i did start the training a few days late because of the delay in the mail of my papers. hehehe.

friedchicken. aba, e pano ba kita pakakapehin eh naglaho ka na naman parang bula?! lumipat ka ba ulet ng blog? email mo saken sa qrscomplex@gmail.com bilis!

anonymous. i'm not yet that busy. but i will be soon. syet. hahahaha. AH.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!

Free Web Counter